Monday, March 2, 2009

Making the Call

Do you speak Spanish?

I wish I had someone to give me a few lessons. I've called Mexico four or five times so far. Those are the times the calls went through. Countless times I reached an Operator and I have no idea what she is trying to tell me.... Is the line busy, a non-working number, all circuits overloaded... what? It can be very frustrating.


When I have managed to get through.... I've spoken to Miguel's Dad, Mom, two cousins, and Miguel. Miguel speaks very good English - no problem there and his Dad and I did fine with my limited Spanish & his limited English. With his Mom and the cousin I just kept repeating in English, "May I speak to Ashley?" and then "Ashley's Madre" (mother).

Then I decided to ask Ashley to give me some key phrases to use:

May I speak to Ashley? Podria hablar con Ashley?

When will she be back? A que hora va a regresar a casa?

Where did she go? A donde fue?

Tell her to call me please? Por favor digale que me habla.

I will call back. Later today. Voy a llamar de nuevo mas tarde.

I will call back tomorrow. Voy a llamar de nuevo mañana

Some of these words I know quite well from taking my Spanish class, others I'm afraid I will really screw up the pronunciation and say something other than what I'm trying to say.

Wish me Luck for the next time I'm "Making the Call".
Buena Suerte! (bweh-nah swair-teh)