Thursday, March 5, 2009

Camera - Window Shopping Today

Today I'm going to a camera store to actually handle and ask questions about the cameras I'm interested in. I'm not buying today, just looking...gathering more information. You know like: how big, how heavy, how it feels to hold it in my hands etc. It may be cheapest to buy it online, but it's difficult to ascertain if you're going to be happy with some features without ever handling the camera prior to purchasing it.

I plan to purchase a DSLR that's under $1,000, after I've saved that much. Right now I have over $300 stashed away, which is Christmas and Birthday monies I've been hoarding.

These are some of the ones I'm interested in:

Canon EOS Rebel XS Price - $699 10.1 Megapixels
Canon EOS Rebel XSi Price - $749 12.2 Megapixels
Canon EOS Rebel XTi Price - $569 10.1 Megapixels

* Amanda recently purchased a new Canon Rebel XIi and she loves it! I wish I could post a couple of her pictures they took recently of a sleigh ride the whole family went on.

Nikon D90 Price - $990 12.3 Megapixels
Nikon D60 Price - $679 10.2 Megapixels
Nikon D40 Price - $475 6.1 Megapixels

These are some of the blogs that I follow, which have the quality (the richness & sharpness)of the pictures that I want to produce. Of course, once I checked out which cameras they are using no wonder. They are all in the $1,000 - $2,000 range, not those listed above. I should of known.

Amy likes kid photography like me, check out these pictures of Matty here. She shoots with a Nikon D200. Check out this blog, A Gift of God, and pray for Matt. There are three contributors to this blog, but I believe Amy does most of the photography.

Julie uses a Nikon D200 also. Nature, her son (who happens to be autistic), all kinds of photos imaginable, very inspiring. I've tried to link directly to some great pictures on her site, but I couldn't get it to work correctly, so you'll just have to browse through her blog a bit. It's well worth the time spent, I guarantee it. And here's the link to her blog, A Celebration of our Journey.

Hallie's blog, Confession from the Rubber Room, is what initially sparked my interest in going deeper into the world of photography. She takes, amazing pics of her daughters and grand kids, scenery, people, buildings, you name it. She freely offers lessons and tips for taking great photos. There is a side bar on her blog, which will get you to "Through the Lens", and also "365 Pics", don't forget to check those out as well as the main site. Her blog and her photography both have a very professional quality to them.

And last but not least, here's a lady with four small children who is also a professional photographer (she does weddings etc.) She goes by the name of Mck Mama, her blog is worth checking out even if you have no interest in photography at all. At last count she has mere 2,963 people following her blog, and if I'm not mistaken she's been asked to speak at an up coming blogging conference in Chicago. Oh! almost forgot to tell you, her main camera is a Canon EOS 40D and her back-up camera is a Canon Rebel XTi.

Okay, so that wasn't the last, but I didn't want to leave the men out. A male co-worker also shoots with a Canon 40D and has been giving me great advice on different cameras and lenses etc. Where to find them, what to look for, different sites he uses.

Wish me luck, in narrowing it down a bit more.

1 comment:

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great photo & blog! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:
http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/