Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Guanajuato, GJ, Mexico

Today it's an educational post brought to you by Dorsey. If you click the link below you'll be taken to an interactive map of Mexico...it will slid out to include the US or move in to get a closer look at Guanjuato. Iraputo (about an hour away)is where Ashley & Miguel worked this past year and Leon (just less hour away) is where the airport is.

Guanajuato Map - Map of Guanajuato, GJ, Mexico

Guanajuato is located about 230 miles northwest of Mexico City. It is at an elevation of 1,996 m (6,550 ft) above sea level. Founded by the Spanish in the early 16th century, Guanajuato became the world's leading silver-extraction centre in the 18th century. This past can be seen in its 'subterranean streets' and the 'Boca del Inferno', a mineshaft that plunges a breathtaking 600 m.

Guanajuato is a state in the central highlands of Mexico. It is named after its capital city, Guanajuato, which comes from the local indigenous language, meaning “Hill of Frogs.” Guanajuato, although it is the state capital, is only the fifth-largest city in the state, behind León. The city of León, is the fifth most populous city in Mexico and the first in the state of Guanajuato.



This is Guanajuato Universidad, where Ashley did her international studies. She pointed out LuLu's house where she stayed while abroad. I would have liked to have visited with them, but with just having a new baby it just wasn't feasible to do everything we would have liked to have done.



This is Calle Campanero y Santa Cafe. This is Ashley's favorite place to eat, and this is where she and Miguel went the night I took care of Daniela, so they could have a date.



This is one of the ways to enter the subterranean streets. Much of the car traffic in the city uses an underground road network.



And this is what it looks like down there. My pictures that I took didn't turn out at all, not enough light.



This link a list of attractions, like museums, historical sites, and other places of interest to visit in the are. Check it out!
Attractions link to Guanajuato here

** These pictures are not ones that I took while on my trip. These were copied from a travel site on the web while looking up facts on Mexico. I was surprised to find that some of my pictures were better than there's. Yep! I said better, so my photography skills must be improving. The ones I chose to copy were pictures I neglected to take, like the Cafe or was a much better picture than I took, like the University one and the picture in the underground tunnels.

No comments: