Sunday, February 22, 2009

Get Your Groceries Cheaper

As money gets tighter & tighter around my house, I'm continually trying to improve my shopping skills to save more and more money. I've posted our savings so far this year, below. I tried to post it in a chart format, but it doesn't recognize the spaces and so it was all a jumble. This is the best I could do.

In Jan. we shopped three times.

1/3 Spent $31.18 Saved $19.27 Of which $17.27 was in-store savings and $2.00 coupon savings. That was a 61% Savings!!!!!

1/14 Spent $165.22 Saved $75.27 Of which $47.44 was in-store savings and $27.85 coupon savings. That was a 45% savings.

1/31 Spent $198.05 Saved $82.69 Of which $59.94 was in-store savings and $22.75 coupon savings. That was a 41% savings.

In Feb we shopped twice.

2/7 Spent $133.36 Saved $36.72 Of which $34.42 was in-store savings and $6.30 coupon savings. That was a 27% savings. Not so great. I was sick, Gary went alone, we were desperate for food, saving wasn't top priority.

2/19 Spent $227.04 Saved $97.75 Of which $56.40 was in-store savings and $41.35 coupon savings. That was a 43% savings.

By in-store savings - I mean we shop for what the ad says is on sale and make our menu off of it for the most part.

****My goal is to always save over 50%.


What Tools Do I Use To Save Money:

Sunday Paper Inserts

Member of the Grocery Game I also took a Webinar class from this site on basic couponing.

I recently started using this website Be Centsable They also have classes that you can take, but I haven't tried theirs yet.

I have used two different coupon clipping services. You chose the coupons you'd like and they clip and send them to you for a fee. Here is the link to one of them. Coupons and Things The other is a part of the grocery game. Sign in and go to the The Coupon Master page.

Another blog I've found valuable information on is Sharp Scissors Lady She actually teaches you how to use coupons, at coupon parties. There's one coming up in Brighton the first part of March, that I want to attend.

I buy coupons on EBay

So yes, I spend money to save money, but as I increase my skills, the spending money should decrease and the saving money increase.

If you want to save more money, check out these sites. And share with me if you have some of your own favorite sites for tips on saving money.

1 comment:

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great idea! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:
http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/