Saturday, February 7, 2009

Autism Sunday - Found out about it just in time.

Praying for a Time When Every Sunday Is Autism Sunday

I see from an item on About.com's Autism site that this Sunday, February 8, is Autism Sunday. Church leaders from around the world have agreed to make the second Sunday in February an International Day of Prayer for Autism and Asperger Syndrome.

This is a parent-initiated observance: Autism Sunday was started in 2002 in the United Kingdom by Ivan and Charika Corea, parents of a child with autism. Writes Ivan, "Our son Charin has been our inspiration. We see him as a real blessing from God." It would certainly be nice if more folks in the pews saw children with autism and other special needs that way. Maybe Autism Sunday could also be an International Day of Not Glaring at Children Who Behave Unpredictably in Church, or International Day for Figuring Out How to Do More Than Just Pray for Children With Special Needs.

With those children with autism rapidly becoming adults with autism, and adults with disabilities being moved from institutions to community placements, churches need to figure out ASAP how to make individuals with special needs full members of the family of God -- not once a year, but every Sunday, every day, in every way possible. That's something to pray for, right there.

You can find more information on Autism Sunday on these sites:

Autism Sunday
Autism Sunday Blog
Autism Sunday Facebook Group
Autism Speaks

I copied the above article from the About.com autism site.

This post began to show you my favorite piece of jewelry and why it means so much to me. I bought the charm last year, shortly after Christmas. G.T.'s parents gave me money for Christmas and I used it to purchase the charm you see below. Then my sweetheart of a husband bought me the oh! so expensive box chain to wear it on. It just glides back and forth on the chain, I love it! You could purchase the puzzle ribbon charm with or without the birthstone. I didn't know if I should get Michael's birthstone, he's my so-very-dear-to-my-heart grandson, who just happens to be on the spectrum. (Now upgraded to Aspergers after 3 years of intensive early childhood intervention). Or should I get G.T.'s, my closest to my heart respite boy, who's diagnosis is PDD-NOS, but remains for the most part non-verbal and not quite potty trained at seven years old. I really struggled with the decision, so went to bed to sleep on it and woke up in the morning with the answer. It was really funny, because I literally jumped out of bed when the thought popped into my head upon wakening. Their birthday is the same month. Dah! Needless to say it has a birthstone on it and it honors both the totally awesome boys who have stole this ladies heart.


· Significant
An intelligent, brilliant and radiant
symbol of Autism Awareness
· Personalized
Order yours with a birthstone for
an oppulent, elegant effect
· Unique
A one-of-a-kind exquisite, breath-
taking gift for a loved one or family
· A Treasured Heirloom
This beautiful pendant will be
cherished for generations to come

Commissioned by Peggy Croft, whose artistic Christmas jewelry designs have been featured in Warner Brothers, People Magazine and done custom pieces for The Endangered Species has now created our very own original and exclusive gold "Autism Solutions Puzzle Ribbon of Promise" to acknowledge the many unique gifts our wonderful children bring to the world.

No comments: