Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day versus Memorial Day

Labor Day was a very gray, cloudy day, I never saw the sun once. I spent the day cleaning and organizing and taking care of things I'd been procrastinating about doing for quite some time. Don't tell anyone, but I stayed in my pj's all day. I did take some time to enjoy reading a couple chapters of a book.

Memorial Day was the total opposite. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was on vacation in Maine. We had a great day at my daughter's friends house in Portland, Maine.



This is Grace in the Teletubbie space craft. It's a thumbs-up for this ride.

It started with four kids and three ladies at Chuckie Cheese. Okay, I'll be honest....four little kids, one childish Gramie and two ladies. My daughter and her best friend, Theresa managed to keep us all under control. I did almost get stuck in the caged in climber trying to help Michael, but how was I to know..... they make them a lot bigger in Michigan.



David & Michael riding the Buddy Mobile, they are best-buddies.




Ava lovin the swings. More under-dog pushes Gramie!!!


After that we spent some time at a park on the beach. The playground was great and the kids enjoyed trying every piece of equipment while Gramie snapped pictures and gave them HUGE under-dog pushes on the swings. Theresa's little ones call me Gramie Doris and my grand kids call me Gramie LaLa. I respond to both. We hated to part at the end of the day, they used to live very close by, but now we had a 2 1/2 hour trip back to Bangor.

An hour or so into the ride home Michael yells "My bug bites bleeding!" Amanda turned to look and it wasn't a bug bite - it was his nose. It wasn't gushing, but bleeding fast enough to drip on this shirt. I scrambled for Kleenex and handed it back to him and realized he was going to need help. My daughter was unable to pull over in the busy traffic. We were driving in a jeep with a DVD player setting on a bar between the two headrests. I would have to navigate the space between the bar and the console between the seats. Me, (who's up for the Gramie of the year award) started to wiggle and jiggle my way into the back seat. Okay, so climbing prone wasn't working, so I tried to turn myself sideways and that's when my hip fell part way between the seats and my feet were in the air. I was starting to get the giggles but Amanda didn't think it was so funny. The day had turned humid, and the jeep was doing this weird swaying action and she'd been complaining about being nauseous. My feet had been sweating in some old sandals all day and when they went in the air, they were also right in Amanda's face. She started gagging and I was laughing hysterically now as I tried my darnedest to get my rumpus out of the ravine and up onto the back seat. I guess you had to be there to get the full effect. We were both very relieved when I succeeded.

Finally I was able to assist Michael who was grinning from ear to ear at his ridiculous Gramie. He had blood smeared cheek to cheek and desperately in need of some new Kleenex. Next to Gramie was Ava sleeping with her neck bent way over, blissfully sleeping through all the commotion. We stopped at a gas station to clean up Michael and bought ice cream for the kids and popcorn for Gramie. She deserved a reward. All in all it was a full, fun day.

No Contest. Memorial Day wins.

No comments: