Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Gift from the Heart

Have you ever admired something someone else had in their home, complimented them on it; and then have that same person, at a later date give it to you as a gift?

I have, twice in my lifetime. The first time it was while visiting an elderly neighbor near our vacation home. The object of my admiration was a handmade white crocheted doily with different colored violets all around the edge. It was so pretty, colorful and it just said "friendship" to me. Later that neighbor gave the doily to me. I don't remember if she gave me the original one, or made me one, but I do know I was thrilled beyond belief. Not only did I display and use it at my house, but I also bought 12 colors of crochet thread (besides the white) and I created more doilies of my own. Believe me it took hours of trial and error until I was able to recreate that doily and the I made more for friends and relatives.

I tried to find the circle of violets doily so I could share a picture of it here, but couldn't locate it. No doubt it is somewhere in my knitting & crocheting supplies with a half finished creation of my own. That doily was truly a gift from the heart.

Here's a picture of my most recent gift from the heart. It's a beautiful wooden dish of my Mother's that I admired. She said she knew how much I loved it, so she wanted me to have it. And yes, I was thrilled. It just makes my living room feel so much more homey.


The birds look so real, just fat and happy, friendly, fluffy fellows. I have quite an extensive collection of bird ornaments; in fact, I plan to put only bird ornaments on my Christmas tree this year. I only get to enjoy my bird ornaments for a few weeks, but this new gift I will be able to enjoy 365 days a year.



Thanks Mom, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

No comments: