Thursday, September 17, 2009



I am drawn to sunflowers, the way that sunflowers turn instinctively to the sun. For many years I've planted them in my vegetable gardens to enjoy. My eldest daughter loves them too, we incorporated them into her bridal shower decorations and wedding flowers.



And so I took a walk with my dog and my camera and captured these photos to share.

If you love Sunflowers, do yourself a favor and check out this great book, it's called "The Great Sunflower Book" by Barbara Flores.

Read about:

the history of this American weed
sunflowers as medicine
the Chernobyl Sunflower Clean-up Project
great recipes like Choco-Dot Pumpkin Cake
so many great quotes...like:


"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light" Theodore Roethke


"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen


"Nobody sees a flower---really...we haven't time----and it takes time like a friend takes time." Georgia O'Keefe

No comments: