Friday, September 25, 2009

Afghans I've Made from this Book



This book was not cheap, even back in the day when I bought it probably ten years ago at least. I looked through the book and picked out five blankets that I wanted to make and then I asked my sister to look at it and she picked out five and I told her I'd copy the directions for her and mail them. I just had to get my monies worth out of the book. Well out of the the 55 baby afghans they pictured, we both picked out four of the same ones. I guess you could say we have similar tastes when it came to making things with yarn. I have made four out of the five that I originally picked and a couple others. How about you Martha, how many have you made?



These are in no particular order. This one is called "Field of Flowers". When Ashley was taking Tae Kwon Do lessons I would take something along to do as I watched her practice. There was a little girl there every week by the name of Taylor, who was around five at the time and she would watch me crochet and count the flowers and ask questions. She was extremely interested in the whole process and never grew tired of watching me. Taylor kept commenting on how pretty it was, how soft and cuddly, how great it would be to snuggle with etc. etc. Well about three-fourths of the way done with the blanket I'd decided to give it to Taylor, but she didn't know that yet. Let me tell you, when I gave it to her ... she was ssoooo thrilled, I really made her day. She took it to show and tell and wrote me a very nice Thank you note (which I have saved). Taylor & her Mom gave me a whole set of crochet hooks in a case as a thank you gift.



This one called "Ruffles All Around" I crocheted for Amanda's best friend Laura's first baby. I also knitted her a sweater and hat set, which I finished in the parking lot of the baby shower venue. I had wrapped the box and lid separately and finished the collar of the sweater at the very last minute. After taking a picture, I placed it in the box and into the shower we went. When Laura opened my gifts they asked me to stand and every clapped. I had to confess I'd just finished the sweater in the parking lot, but their admiration for my handy work made it all worth while.



This one called "Twirling Pinwheels" was really fun to make and was given to a lady who attended my church. She had recently had two sons having babies and I didn't go to their showers, because I didn't know her older children at all. I did however, know her younger son, because he had dated my daughter Meghan and they were going to the same college. One weekend I hitched a ride to the college in a neighboring state with them and took the afghan along and gave it to her as a gift. It was a Grandma's Afghan for her to keep at her house and use when the grand babies came over to visit. Little did I know that years later, both of her adorable granddaughters would be in my Sunday School class.



I think the writing is on the wall for this one. "Flower Garland" will haunt me forever. I tried to tell my daughter Ashley, (who begged me to make it for her) that it was a pain in the hiney to make, but she wouldn't listened. There is a constant need to tie off and hide strings that I hate. Whenever it was washed, no matter how gently, it would fall apart somewhere and I'd end up mending it. I hated that blanket as much as she adored it.



This one aptly named "Hearts & Bows" was given to a baby that my daughter Meghan nannied for. I believe it was for Monique, who made national news when she was car- jacked/kidnapped by an escaped convict who later ditched her and the van in a restaurant parking lot. But that's another story all together.



This is the blanket I'm working on now, it's called "Bathed in Bubbles". It's going to be trimmed in chocolate brown, so that it will match Griffin's room. Griffin is to make his debut the middle of October. If you want to see his room, click here.



This blanket is very thick and warm. I don't like open weaves that invite tiny fingers and toes to get caught.



It would make a great blanket to put on the tiled floor when that baby girl needs tummy time...what do you think Ashley? Shall I make you one too, or one of the other ones. Anything, but "Flower Garland"!

No comments: