Monday, February 8, 2010

Did you see it?

The Movie Temple Grandin was on HBO on Saturday, did you see it?  I didn't even have HBO, but I did have a special rewards card , which entitled me to get HBO for 3 months free, so I signed up just so I could watch this movie.  Did I mention that I'm have an insatiable interest in anything and everything to do with autism?



I thought they did an awesome job of showing what an autistic persons sensory world is like in several scenes (eating in the cafeteria, getting settled in her room at the ranch).  Maybe this movie will help people understand what it's like for autistic individuals to use a public restroom when the toilet self-flushes with hurricane force and the air comes out of the blow dryers much like the water out of a fireman's hose.  Is it any wonder they are scared to go into a public restroom?

Temple had much to say about the making of this movie.  Check this out.  Okay, that was my very first visit to Beef Magazine.  It could be yours too.

Head here if you want to go check out Temple Grandin's official web site.  I have read two of her books - Emergence: Labeled Autistic, and Thinking in Pictures and intend to read a few more after seeing Claire Dane's moving performance.  I hope this showing of the movie starts an autism informational avalanche in the media.  The more people educated on the subject, the better off our world will be for those who are challenged by this disorder.

I'm very interested to know what other people liked or did not like about the movie as I realize that my autism connection may influence how I perserved it myself.  Please leave a comment.

Okay, I'll start.  Did you notice how much more attractive Temple's character is in the movie than she is real life?  I caught that right away.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Even at the end when they showed pictures of the real Temple at different stages of her life, they were really small and you really couldn't get a good look at her.  Who's idea was that?  I don't think it was just a coincidence.  Would the outcome of the movie be more positive using an attractive character versus someone plain or weird looking?  What do you think?








***UPDATE......A commenter let me know that there's a more recent article in Beef Magazine, so I checked it out and have added the link here for you.

1 comment:

santana99 said...

There is a more recent and in-depth article about the production,which appeared in the January issue of BEEF. You can see it at: http://beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/cattle-handling/0101-temple-hbo-debut/.