Saturday, February 6, 2010

Decisions, Decisions.... I'm no good at this!

Sometimes I just have so much trouble making decisions.  That's why there has been such a long delay in the making of the sweater with my alpaca yarn.  The first hold up was finding a pattern, then I had to get some advice and then the dreadful decision making started haunting me even in my dreams.  Have you ever been chased by a ghost wearing a sweater?  Just kidding, the decision has been haunting me, but not in ghostly shapes.  Mostly it is the form of those to do lists I make.  I cross off most of them that I get done and then rewrite it to make it look neat.  Some how ....Start Alpaca sweater never seems to get crossed off, just rewritten and rewritten and rewritten.

The pattern I found calls for bulky yarn.  Okay, the Alpaca yarn is not bulky it is sport weight.  Do I combine it with another sport weight yarn and knit the combo together?  Do I look for another pattern calling for the same type of sport weight yarn.  Finding patterns is not easy, it took me from Oct. to Jan. to find the one I did.  I want to get this right, the first time, because really I do not want to end up wasting the yarn, or not liking the sweater pattern or being disappointed in the end result.  So what's a knitter to do?  It's been a long time since I've knitted myself a sweater and there's sentimental value to this yarn.  I have mulled it over and over, talked to other knitters and have finally decided to do this.  I'm knitting the pattern I found with the bulky yarn, to make sure I like the pattern and the sweater fits, then I will make the sweater in the Alpaca yarn combo.  Who knows, maybe I'll even buy more Alpaca yarn in a lighter gray to go with it, so it's 100 % Alpaca instead of 50% Alpaca & 50% Wool.

Here's a picture of the sweater pattern and the yarn.  It should knit up fairly quickly as the needles are size 11 and there's no fancy stitches, just knitting.

What do you think?  If you're a knitter, please don't hestitate to leave me some advice in the comments.  I'll let you know how it's going in a week or two.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

If it were me I would probably sit for too many hours on ravelry looking for another pattern that uses sport weight yarn, but doubling the yarn would be fine I guess as long as your gauge is right doing it that way. I haven't tackled a big project like an adult sweater yet.