Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mountains for Two?

How did it come to be that two little girls who were born and raised in Michigan now look out their windows where they live and see mountains every day?   I do believe these are part of the San Andes, but then I could be wrong.




They are beautiful and awe inspiring.  When Audra left Michigan after Christmas she said she couldn't wait to get home to her pets and her mountains.


What does it take to be a mountain?  Well here's a dictionary definition.  A mountian is a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit, and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft. (610 m).


If I asked what is the tallest mountain on earth, most people would be able to answer that question.  Mt. Everest, of course.  But if I were to ask how much of the world's population lilve in the mountains, I'm sure most people wouldn't have a clue.  One tenth, would be the correct answer.


And these would be the La Cruzita mountains in Mexico.  They are not flat, I was taking a panoramic view of how the people have built their homes on the side of the mountains.


Incredible.  I don't believe I've heard Ashley exclaim that she misses her mountains, but after visiting for two weeks I can see how you would get attached to them.

No comments: