Wednesday, January 14, 2009

365/14 My Bookshelf

This was suppose to be a picture of all the books on my Autism book shelf, but on closer inspection (after taking the picture with no contacts in), I discover two books not on the topic have snuck onto this shelf. How many of you would have noticed if I would have kept silent about it?
One book on this shelf has already been read more than once; it is "The Boy Who Loved Windows" Opening the heart and mind of a child threatened with Autism by Patricia Stacey. It is the best actual account (written from birth), about a child with autism that I have read. Another favorite of mine, which I sent to my daughter (who has a child on the spectrum) is George & Sam: Two Boys, One Family and Autism by Charlotte Moore.
Here's a partial list of books I read in 2008 on the subject of autism, I didn't keep track, but these are what I can remember at the moment. I read them and send the ones I think might be helpful to my daughter, who does not have time to do all the reading herself. I've had a life long interest in autism. My very first book that peaked my interest in autism was Son-Rise written by Barry Neil Kaufman, it was written in 1989. Here's the list.

1. A Will of His Own: Reflections on Parenting a Child with Autism.
By Kelly Harland
2. 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders
By Veronica Zysk, Ellen Notbohm
3. Reasonable People: A Memoir of Autism and Adoption: On the Meaning of Family and the Politics of Neurological Difference. By Ralph James Savarese
4. To Wise to be Mistaken, Too Good to Be Unkind: Christian Parents Contend with Autism By Cathy Steere
5. Strange Son: Two Mothers, Two Sons, and the Quest to Unlock the Hidden World of Autism By Portia Iversen
6. Just This side of Normal: Glimpses Into Life with Autism by Elizabeth King Gerlach
7. Awakening Ashley: Mozart Knocks Autism on It’s Ear by Sharon Ruben
8. George & Sam: Two Boy, One Family and Autism by Charlotte Moore
9. A Slant of Sun: One Child's Courage by Beth Kephart
10. Awakening Ashley: Mozart Knocks Autism on It’s Ear by Sharon Ruben
11. Louder Than Words: A Mother’s Journey in Healing Autism by Jennifer McCarthy
12. Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wish You Knew by Ellen Notbohm

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I noticed the Jodi Picoult right away!

Theresa said...

what are your thoughts on the Jenny Mcarthy book?