Sunday, March 7, 2010

Good Grief - Why did I do that?

Quit faking it.  That's what Courtney challenged us to do.  Okay!  Is this real enough for you, Courtney?  Not only am I not a fashionable dresser, but I lack the basics of a descent wardrobe.

I have a pair of boots that I really like and some stitching started coming apart on them, so I decided to take them to see if I could get them restitched rather than look for a new pair.  Alas, the snow started melting and I discovered they also leak.  Okay, so I'll look for a new pair and ditch these.  To tide me over in the meantime I  pulled out an old pair of hiking boots to wear for the time being.  They didn't look to be in bad shape, so I strapped my feet in them and went off to work.  I work at a Nature Center, so hiking boots are acceptable footwear.  Soon  I discovered that they weren't that comfortable, in fact they kind of felt like I was walking in someone elses shoes.  One heel was low and the other foot felt like I was leaning toward the edge.  I tried to remember the last time I wore them and couldn't, so it must have been a while back.

As the day progressed, so did the weirdness of my footwear.  The hiking boots felt loosier on my feet and the step felt less firm and more wobbly.  Then I notice a bunch of black debris under my desk.  At first I thought it was mud that had loosened from the soles of my shoes, no big deal.  Later I noticed little pieces of black all around the floors of the office.  I picked up my foot and looked at the sole of my hiking boot and found that it had a loose sole.  Great!  Okay, so these will have to be pitched too. 

I went about my day and began wishing I hadn't worn these stupid hiking boots.  While rolling coins collected from the Wishing Well I accidently dropped a couple and when I bent to pick them up I grabbed what a thought was a chunk of bark.  That's when I really got worried, it wasn't bark, it was a chunk off the sole of my shoe.  I looked around the office and sure enough there were little pieces of my shoes strewn all over the carpet of the office.  My shoes were crumbling off my feet as I walked. 

The rest of the day I tried to limit the amount of walking that I did about the office.  How embarrasing, I had worn boots to work that wear that had dry-rotting, they were literally disentigrating before my eyes and the eyes of my co-workers.  I thought about calling my husband to bring me a different pair of shoes or running home myself to get a pair, but it was only a couple hours until it was time to leave and the roads were really muddy and rutted, so I decided to stick it out.

To make light of the situation I asked my boss for a raise, so I could afford to buy a decent pair of shoes. LOL  I went around the office before I left and picked up all the chunks of rubber with a napkin.  I felt like I could possibly walk right out of them if they weren't tied around my ankles.  They were really giving me the heeby-jeebies and all I could think about was getting them off my feet.  Ugh!  I can't believe I did something so foolish.

I will be going shoe shopping this week folks, and if I can find more than one pair that fit, I'll buy them.

No comments: