Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Price Book

There are several ways to save on your grocery budget -

1) The Planner - This is the shopper that menu plans for the week, then sits down and makes a list of ingredients needed, then shops for those things only, to help them stay on a budget.

2) The Flier Shopper - This is the shopper that buys what is on sale in the flier and plans their meals around those items they have purchased.

3) The Stockpile Shopper - This is the shopper that collects a stockpile while the items are at their lowest possible price.

What kind of shopper are you?

I started 20 years or so ago being a planner, then I became a flier shopper several years ago. Last year I became a stockpile shopper, but I haven't been totally effective because I didn't have a price book.

What's a price book you say? I'm glad you asked. Mine is a mini binder with note cards in it arranged alphabetically. On each card I wrote down an item I buy regularly; there is a place to write the price, the amount (oz./size) and price per item. So yesterday I went to Meijer and started writing down this information for items I buy on a regular basis. When I find it on sale - I will write down when I bought it, how much I paid, and the price per item. This way I will know when to stock up; when it hits the rock bottom price. For example....General Foods International Coffee is regularly $2.99 for a 4.4 oz can, which is .68 cents per oz. Yesterday it was on sale for 1.98, so it was only .45 cents per oz. I had a coupon for $1.00 off two cans, so I really only had to pay .33 cents per oz. That's my new rock bottom price, so when it hits .33 cents per/can I should buy at least 6 cans to last me until it goes down to the price again. Groceries usually follow a 12 week cylce, so you will know roughly when it will go on a major sale again.

Can you see how a price book can help you get more for your money at the grocery store? Why pay full price? Yes, initially it takes some work to track the prices, but once you have them, you'll be reaping the benefits with very little effort at all.

I also went to Costco yesterday, but that's another post. So little time, so much to save!

No comments: