Wednesday, May 13, 2009

More on the Good Mood Diet

As I start working on improving Dorsey, I will share a bit on what I'm doing and what I'm learning about myself. I want to feel great. Doesn't everybody? And have more energy. In her book the Good Mood Diet, Susan Kleiner provides this list of foods to choose your meals and snacks from.

Feel Great Foods

Bananas, Beans, Blueberries, Broccoli

Caffeine-containing beverages (1-2 each day)
Cocoa powder (or chocolate in small amounts)

Dairy, low-fat or fat-free

Edamame (green soybeans), Egg yolks

Fish and seafood, Flax seed (ground)

Garlic, Ginger, Grapefruit, Grape juice, Greens (dark & leafy), Green tea

Lean, organic meat

Mangoes

Nuts

Olives & Olive oil, Oranges

Pomegranates, Popcorn (air-popped), Pork (lean)

Soy, Spinach, Strawberries, Sunflower seeds

Turkey, light and dark meat

Vegetable oil, unrefined

Whole grains


I can identify with a few items on this list, can you. Popcorn is my all time anxiety reliever and do something nice for me snack. I could eat it every day.


Of course mines not air popped! For me it's cutting back on what I put on it, like having less butter and less Parmesan cheese etc. But what I really LOVE is the stuff you get at the theatre!!! It literally causes me anxiety and grief to go to the movies and do without popcorn while every one around me is enjoying some.


Blueberries and strawberries really do seem to help my mood. And nothing is more filling and makes me contented like a big bowl of homemade 15 bean soup.

The theory is that if you eat the items on this list your energy levels will increase and you will feel good and it will allow you to naturally lose weight.
Okay, there's much more to it than that....a whole book in fact, but that is the gist of it.

There is also a Feel-Bad Foods List, which you'll be happy to hear is much shorter.

Caffeine in large does

Fried Foods

Fatty Meats

Fatty snack foods

Added Sugar

Last night after taking the dog for a walk; I ate a 1/2 cup frozen berries for an evening snack. This morning I enjoyed a bowl of oatmeal with my ground flax and extra cinnamon.

Wish me luck! Here's to good moods, more energy, and losing about 20 pounds.

No comments: