Saturday, April 25, 2009

No Ordinary Grandma


I want to get this book, "eye of my heart". 27 Writers Reveal the Hidden Pleasures and Perils of Being a Grandmother.

If you go to Amazon.com and enter the word grandmother in the book search, you will find that over 10,000 books are listed. It's a very important time in a woman's life, so naturally many authors have written on the subject. I do not see my grandchildren often as they live on the eastern side of the U.S. and I'm surrounded by the Great Lakes, so I am always on the look out for ideas of special ways to keep in touch and to make memorable times just that, memorable. I want to be that amazing, very-special one of a kind Grandma.

So far I've sent postcards, books, videos, letters & packages. I call and talk to them on the phone and have made them the star on my blog. Last year I made Michael & Ava a birthday collage picture starring the birthday child and for Christmas they received shoe boxes full of goodies, reminiscent of my own childhood. I'm always looking for fun things to do with them and arrive with a suitcase full of clothes, books, & toys that I've collected between visits. I try to tap into their special interests, for Michael that would be bridges & volcanoes. For Ava it was mice and then changed to princesses. You have to constantly keep up on those things. And you know it was hit when the kid has to be bribed to take off the Spider man jogging suit you bought, so it can be washed. It's not all about spending money either, things like glo-in-dark bracelets from Joanne's discount bin, at $1.00 was a huge hit. Paperbackswap.com is a great source for cheap books and I'm an avid ebayer too.

I'm now in the process of collecting Christmas books for Sydney for a new tradition of opening a Christmas book every day of December until Christmas day arrives. She LOVES books and Christmas, so it's sure to be a hit. She was the happy recipient of her very own kiddie ornaments for her very own Christmas tree this past year.

Will this new book have the answers to all my questions? Will it give me great tips? I don't want to be an ordinary grandma, but an extraordinary one. My passion for little ones gives me a head start over many of the other grandma's and the old absence makes the heart grow fonder gives me another leg up. I'll keep doing my research and following my heart and I do believe I'll see you in the winners circle some day. The winners circle of my grandchildrens arms that is.

No comments: