Thursday, April 29, 2010

Feeling Guilty - Where did April Go?

April is Autism Awareness Month and I fully intended to do some great posts this month and here it is the end of April and not one single post.  How on earth did that happen?

On my blog it says that I have an unquenchable thirst for learning more about autism.  I decided to list all the books I've read on the topic.  It was easy to write down the first 50 and now one comes to me here and there, so I'll just continue to add them as I remember them.

My very first book was Son Rise by Barry Neil Kaufman.  Last year I reread it, just to see what originally caught my attention and interest in Autism.  Here's the list, starting with my first book followed by some of my favorites.

1)   Son Rise by Barry Neil Kaufman
2)   The Boy Who Loved Windows; Opening the Heart and Mind of a Child Threatened with Autism
3)   A Real Boy:  A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention and Recovery
4)   George & Sam:  Two Boys, One Family & Autism.
5)   Nobody Nowhere by Donna Williams
6)  Rex, A Mother her Autistic Chilod and the Music that Transformed their Lives by Cathleen Lewis
7)  To Wise to be Mistaken, Too Good to be Unkind:  Christian Parents Contend with Autism
8)  A Slant of Sun:  One Child's Courage
9)  Songs of the Gorilla Nation :  My Journey through Autism
10)  Son Rise:  The Miracle Continues
11)  Brains that work a Little Bit Differently:  Recent Discoveries about Common Brain Diversities.
12) Through the Glass Wall:  A Therapists Life Long Journey to Reach Children with Autism
13) Precious Treasure by Elizabeth Matthews
14) Autism:  Explaining the Enigma by Uta Frith
15) Awakening Ashley:  Mozart knocks Autism on it's Ear by Sharon Ruben
16) Our Life on the Run:  A Story of Running 50 Marathons in 50 States - A Family Quest
17) Not Even Wrong:  A Father's Journey into the Lost History of Autism by Paul Collins
18) Rules by Cynthia Lord
19)  Born on a Blue Day:  Inside the Extraordinary mind of an Autistic Savant:  A Memoir
20)  Gift from my Son:  Autism Redefined
21)  Send in the Idiots:  Stories from the other side of Autism
22)  Breaking Autism's Barriers:  A Father's Story by Bill Davis
23)  Sound of the Falling Snow: Stories of Recovery from Autism & Related Conditions
24)  Elijah's Cup:  A families Journey into the communtiy & culture of high functioning autism and   
Aspergers Syndrome.
25) Pivotal Response Treatments for Autism:  Communication Social and Academic
26) Souls Beneath Beyond Autism
27) Up High in the Trees - Kiara Brinkman
28) Understanding Autism for Dummies
29) Just this side of Normal:  Glimpses into Life with Autism by Elizabeth King Gerloach
30)  The Parting Class by Emilie Richards
31)  Finding Ben: A Mother's Journey Thourgh the Maze of Autism
32)  Spelling Love with an X: A Mother and Son and the Gene that binds them
33)  Beyond Silence:  My Life, the World and Autism by Tito Rajashi Mukhopadhyay
34)  A Wild Ride up the Cupboards:  A Novel
35)  Facing Autism: Giving Parents Reasons for Hope & Guidance for Help.
36)  Strange Son: Two Mothers, Two Son's and the Quest to Unlock the Hidden World of Autism
37)  Cup of Comfort for Parents of Children with Autism; Stories of Hope & Everyday Success.
38)  10 Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
39)  Engaing Autism: Using the Floortime Approach to Help Children Relate, Communicate and Think
40)  Louder than Words:  A Mother's Journey in Healing Austism by Jenny McCarthy
41)  Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies and Hope that Can Transform
42)  The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.
43)  Unraveling the Mystery of Autism & PDD: A Mother's Story of Research and Recovery
44)  Let me Hear your Voice
45)  A Mind Apart:  Understanding Children with Autism and Aspergers Syndrome
46)  Making Peace with Autism:  One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery & Unexpected Gifts.
47)  He's not Autistic but...How we pulled our son from the mouth of the Abyss
48)  1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising childre with Austism Spectrum Disorders
49)  Reasonable People:  A Memoir of Autism and Adoption:   On the Meaning of Family and the Politics of Neurological Difference.
50)  Somebody Somewhere:  Breaking Free from the World of Autism
51)  Targeting Autism:  What we Know, Don't Know and Can Do to Help Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
51)  The Empty Fortress
53)  Demystifying Autism Spectrum Disorders
54)  A Will of his Own:  Reflections on Parenting a Child with Autism
55)  Strange Son by Portia Iverson
56)  Eye Contact
57)  Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin
58)  Emergence: Labeled Autistic
59)  The Sound of a Micracle, A Child's Triumph Over Autism
60)  An Antropologist on Mars
61)  The Siege
62)  News From the Border:  A Mother's Memoir of Her Autistic Son
63)  Exiting Nirvana:  A Daughter's Life with Autism
64)  ??? More to Come

I'll be adding to this list as I remember titles I've read.  Yes, I guess you could say that this is a lifetime interest and that it's unquenchable.  And quess what, for each book I've read I think there's about  ten more I haven't.  No end in sight, but I don't mind.  However, if God chooses to give us a cure, I'll be happy to choose another topic of interest.  That would be the happiest of endings.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Amen

Theresa said...

I loooooved "the curious incident..."! I recommend it to all that I can!