Monday, June 8, 2009

A REAL Nightmare!

A definition of a nightmare is a frightening dream that usually wakes the sleeper. Not only did it wake me, but apparently prompted me to action as well.

Let me start at the beginning. The dream was about me and an old childhood friend of mine Isabelle ( or Liz as she goes by now ). We had stopped at a gas station so she could gas up her construction vehicle. This was not far-fetched because Liz had worked for a construction co., driving trucks and flagging. True to real life I had to use the restroom and when I returned, Liz was trying to park the very long rig closer to the pump. There was another individual trying to help her by using hand signals, etc. The vehicle had come into contact with the pump and in all the maneuvering it was entangled and had slowing bent the pump over sideways.

I stared at the pump with disbelieving eyes. It was going to blow! I was rooted to the spot and couldn't move. The pipe under the gas pump began to bulge. As loud as I could I was yelling "STOP, STOP!" and waving my arms around madly, but to no avail.

The next thing I knew I was lying face down on a hard surface. My head and face hurt on the left side and my knees too were in pain. I was dazed and foggy --- what had happened? Did the pump blow? Did I jump out of the way and fall?

"Dorsey!" "DORSEY!" I could hear someone yelling.

Where was I? What had happened? Was I okay? Although I felt pain in my face & knees otherwise I seemed to be okay. "I'm okay", I called out, quietly; not sounding to convincing even to myself.

"No you're not!" yelled my hubby. Great was I missing limbs or bleeding to death? I slowing turned over and opened my eyes and glanced up to see my husband on his hands and knees looking over the edge of the bed. The bed... I'm in my own bedroom, my husband is here. Where's Liz? What's going on? I wish I could think straight. I slowly wobbled to a standing position and checked out my knees, which were scraped raw. I became aware of my apnea machine making noise and blowing air on my face and as I removed the apparatus from my head I realized parts were missing from it. The mask had busted in half when I'd fallen.

Did the gas tank blow? No, it was a dream, but my head hurt and my face. Finally it came to me - I'd jumped, fallen, or was blown out of bed and hit the night stand all the way down the left side of my face - staring with my eyebrow, then the eye and cheekbone and then the left side of my chest was scuffed up and my poor knees were throbbing.

For a minute or two my husband had thought he was going to have to call 911, he thought I was knocked unconscious. What a nightmare! I put an icepack on my face right away and thankfully there was very little bruising.

Good Grief Dorsey. What next!

No comments: