Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I am determined to have a vegetable garden!

I posted earlier about the super-soggy condition of my back yard this year. You can read about it here and see a before picture of how wet it was. Well it's now June and there hasn't been much of an improvement. My husband, Corky and I decided if we were to have a garden this year we'd have to make a raised bed. Today he bought the lumber and assembled the sides to retain the soil. He then added a base layer of sand. I helped with the shoveling from the trailer to the bucket, so we had a sort of relay going.

Tomorrow he will go back to the nursery for compost. I have a double compost bin, but it's not near enough. I hope we can plant tomorrow as well. I would post the dimensions of the raised bed, but I forgot to ask before he started push-mowing the lawn. That husband of mine has two speeds, full-throttle and laid back, there's nothing in between.

I did finally plant my Amaryllis bulbs outside over the weekend. I now have a total of seven in a variety of colors. I love that they bloom in the winter, when everything is dormant outside. I hope it's not so wet that they rot. I left the dried out soil from the pots around them, so they weren't to shocked with all the changes at once.

I'll post a picture of the new veggie bed when it's complete.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

My hubby still has not built my raised beds, he says next year. Ha ha when I have a baby crawling around.